My clothes washer had stopped agitating. I have a four grown men living at my house, and my washer gets plenty of abuse use. Frankly, I’m surprised that it still works at all. There’s something to be said about the quality of older machines, especially when you couple that quality with ease-of-maintenance on older machines. Continue reading →
I have submitted my last essay for the term. (Thanks for your editing assistance, Kiddo.) With that submission the semester draws to a close. Time for me to dig into the projects that get pushed to the side while school is session. Perhaps some music while I get down to the task of cleaning my office.
It’s been a long while since my last update. I wanted to get a couple snapshots of progress around here. The bathroom remodel was quite an ordeal, but we got it taken care of. My now ex-girlfriend’s father was incredibly helpful and I couldn’t have completed it without his help.
After. Moved toilet, new surround and tub.
Replaced the double vanity with a single, and added two cabinets.
Also, the rocking is done now. Ready to put in a ceiling someday when funds make themselves available again. Thanks to my dear friend Kristen for all her efforts in painting the hell out of both the bathroom and the basement. The edging would have looked terrible under my brush. I’m in your debt, Kiddo.
Last night while writing the blog post, I’d made a list of things I wanted to get done in the next couple days:
Replace the sprayer in the kitchen sink.
Clean the area in the basement where the new wall is going.
Figure out the extra electrical stuff down there.
Remove whatever electrical items aren’t needed.
Remove old crappy walls.
Start putting up rock.
With this to-do list written up on my whiteboard, I knew when I awoke this morning I’d have at course to follow. Once I managed to get a cup of coffee in me I quickly went after the sink. It was so unexciting I didn’t bother taking pictures. Beginning the basement work is a whole different story.
First a couple of mostly before pics:
At this point I’d just taken off the weird wall sconces. The previous owner had a penchant for them. In addition to these two, the downstairs bedroom also had a pair in there. Freakin weird. Anyway, At this point I started fiddling with the circuit breaker trying to kill the power to that wall. I probably should have done that before pulling the sconces, as noted by the mild shock I got. Once the power was off, I began pulling wires. You can see the outlet and switch on the right side of the wall, the switch used to power a pool table light. The pool table and said light are gone, so I’m thinking I’ll eventually rig that back into the laundry room to get more lights back there.
Next, get that wood outa there!
Tearing down that wall wasn’t too difficult. Hauling the nail infested boards up to the garage was. Where I had a mostly organized garage before waking this morning, I now have a lumber pile.
Now that all the wood was off the wall, I was ready to haul some sheetrock downstairs. I had forgotten that the ceilings in the basement are not 8 foot. The ceiling reminded me of this fact when I attempted to place the first panel and ended up hitting the ceiling about a foot from vertical. Damn it. A quick score and snap, and the first panel was in place. I made sure to measure the next pieces before bringing them down. There’s more room to do that in the garage, and it makes them lighter to carry. Bonus!
Tomorrow I’ll be finishing off the half sheets under the stairs. Then time to start mudding. Blort…
Today kicked off “Tear Your House Apart” season. The lady and I spent most of the day fighting crowds at the local home supply stores in preparation for a couple of sizable home projects. The smaller of the two projects doesn’t worry me at all: replacing 12 feet of terrible wood paneling in the basement with sheet rock, and then cleaning up the remaining basement walls which will be getting a LONG overdue paint job. No biggie. The other job, I’m a bit terrified of… Remodeling the upstairs bathroom…
It needs help. As you can see, it’s poorly laid out and to fix it we’re stripping the whole thing down to the studs. Starting fresh. New everything. To fix the ugly layout, we’re going to be moving around some sewer lines. I have several apprehensions about the things we want to do, but I’ve been assured by the project manager that I’m worrying too much and that it’ll be fine.
Fortunately, both upstairs roommates will be effectively out of the house before we start, so slightly fewer lives will be disrupted. Demolition starts a week after the Messabout, and then it’ll be all work and no play until it’s finished.