A few days ago I posted a list of things that needed to be finished, and I’ve knocked out a couple items on the list.
Rudder needs to have the pintles installed. Transom needs to have the gudgeons installed.
- Mast step needs to be
- Boom needs paint.
- Inspection ports need to be installed.
- Oarlocks need to be installed.
- Mast needs to be rigged for the sail.
- Sail paint detail
- Complete second coat of paint over the hull.
While I still have a few items to complete, it was super important to me to finish the rudder and step. Something about having a boat that could sail if I put it in water made a mental change for me.
Thanks again to Samantha for the use of her drill press. It made what could have been a very ugly job a quick and easy one. Here’s the result of that:
Then a few test fits to see where the gudgeons were going to end up:
And installed with the rudder and tiller attached:
I didn’t leave a lot of room on the tiller for clearance over the sides of the hull, and I’m not sure if that’ll be problematic or not. I guess I’ll find out soon enough. At this point I’m really trying to just get it ready for water, and fine tuning things after that.
In addition to the rudder, the mast step also got some attention. I ended up making myself a “mast jig” to line up the step with the hole in the deck. The step I’d made already fit , but it needed a bottom plate to meet the curvature of the hull. I started making the plate by gluing 2 pieces of plywood together, and then planeing them down into a nice wedge.
The step is now being glued to the wedged bottom, and should be ready to go tomorrow. Some paint will be in order soon, so the inspection ports can be installed. Mast will need to be test fit to the step, but that will require me taking the duck out of the garage. (And that sucks.)
It’s late, finals week. More as it develops!