I made a quick trip to the hardware store this evening. As is the usual, I needed more supplies for the boat.
Specifically, there were quite a few holes that needed patching. Or, as they’re known in woodworking circles “voids”. I picked up some commerical wood filler, and I can’t say that I’m terribly impressed with the first run. I like it’s consistency, it’s similar to a thin peanut butter. But there’s fairly large grit in it, and that makes smoothing it over kind of a pain. The grit drags through any smooth areas when attempting to knock down the peaks and clean it up. Perhaps I’m supposed to build it up thicker, and then sand it into shape rather than use the putty knife?
I’ll be messing with that more tomorrow.
Here’s some of the pics of the cleaned up bow, all full of filler:
We’ll see how that looks in the morning. I have an appointment with my friend Samantha to use her drill press and finish off the rudder. I’ll have the pintle installed by tomorrow afternoon, and with luck, I’ll have figured out the transom as well, so the gudgeons will be next.
Before heading in for the night, I leveled Serenity and attempted to figure out where the mast step is going to end up. I made a makeshift (surprise, surprise) plumb-bob, and ran it through my deck. Sadly, the nut I have on there is too bulky to give me an accurate reading as to where the mast will rest. I’ll have to devise something neater tomorrow.
I suppose I could make a jig based on the mast dimensions, and stick that through the deck… Actually, that’s a good idea. It would not only give me something to align the deck/mast step, it would also offer some support or even a place for weights if I glue it down.