Getting ready to “go 3D”

The last couple days have found me researching sail design. I’ve decided to follow suit with what seems to be the most common for a Puddle Duck, and try a “Leg-o-Mutton” spirit sail. I have some concerns that I’ve shorted myself on the sail material, as the tarp is only 9′ x 12′. Most of the plans for what’s known as the Bolger 59 call for at least a 14 foot luff… So, that will be getting exchanged on the next trip to the big box hardware store.

Upon returning home from work and setting upon “SV Serenity” (as she’ll be named once the hull is registered), I realized that I was kind of stuck. So far the build had been progressing with the intention of making the airboxes first, and then attaching the hull. However after reading up on some other designs, it seemed that method would be less stable as the transoms would be adhered multiple smaller chines, rather than a solid piece running the entire width of the boat.

The up side of this meant I could get to attaching the bottom sooner. The down side was the incredibly strong airboxes would now need to be cut up. Lessons for the next build, right? Let’s start putting this together!

Beginning with measuring the width of the hull sides, and subtracting that figure from 48″, I cut several pieces for permanent and temporary supports. Then the supports were glued and screwed in place using the old screw holes from the chine was curved.

IMG_0368

After installing most of the supports, I checked to see if it was square, and HOLY CRAP was it not! I couldn’t figure it out. I had used the holes on both side, but it was a good couple inches out of square. I finally figured out that the starboard side was not originally screwed in using the same intervals. Some of the supports were over 2 inches off. After measuring it out, and redrilling/screwing, it all lined up very nicely.

IMG_0369

Before heading in for the night, I tossed the bottom hull section on the frame in the hopes that it would start to naturally fit that curve. I also tossed some windshield washer fluid bottles on the stern to help hold it down. (not pictured)

IMG_0371

I’m very close to having a “3D” hull. While that’s exciting, Amazon still has not shipped over half of the gear that was ordered. Boo, Amazon!

To do:

  • Exchange the tarp. Go big or go home!
  • Look into fiberglass. From what I understand, glassing the seams makes a HUGE difference. It wouldn’t be bad for the mast and oars either. (I really like the oar design here: Cheap Oars
  • Continue reading up on sail design, and make more scale prototypes.
  • Start making plans for the kickup rudder, as well as the lee board.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.