The last post left off at a fairly dreary place, and I completely neglected to take pictures of the fiberglassing process. Partly because I was terrified it wouldn’t work, but mostly because it’s a pain to take pics when working with epoxy. It gets all over your hands, and that is a recipe for a messed up camera.
Long story short: I did manage to get the bottom glassed, and it turned out pretty good for a first effort.
There was a fair amount of drippage that needed to be sanded out, as well as some loose strands of cloth. Next time (or next boat!) perhaps I will slice those with a razor when the epoxy greens. Hopefully that would leave less of a mess to deal with.
I did a test patch of paint where the rotted wood had been. I filled that in with wood putty, and then epoxied the hell out of it when I was glassing the boat. I figure let it soak up the epoxy instead of water. Time will tell if it works though. That said, I’m becoming a believer in the Church of Epoxy.
After the test patch dried out and looked okay, I rollered on another coat of paint, which turned out looking very nice. Maybe another coat or two before I take it on the water again.