Makeovers and such

Today is the two year anniversary of launching my Puddle Duck Racer, #824 Serenity. Happy birthday, Serenity!

The 2016 Lake Pepin Messabout looms ever closer, and Serenity has gotten some much needed upgrades. First, her sail has been replaced by the good folks at PolySail. While I had been debating going with a some form of balanced lug rig, I ended up with another Bolger styled Leg O’ Mutton sail. [If you’re interested in sailing or even design, you’d do well to check out Phillip Boger. The guy was an unconventional, prolific boat designer.]

What was interesting to me is I replaced a LOM sail with another, and the boom I’d been using had to be replaced. (It was about a foot short.) The reason why this was the case had been escaping me until just typing the previous line. When designing that first sail, I’d made the sail to fit the mast and boom, instead of creating the sail first and matching the spars to it.

I’ve also been experimenting with alternate rigging setups; mainly getting rid of my false traveler and attaching the mainsheet block to the rudder just aft of the pintles. I’d forgotten I wanted to try that out until I was out testing the new sail with my roommate Paul. I noticed an eye-bolt atop the rudder and spent most of the day’s sail confused as to why it was there. Eventually I rigged the mainsheet block to it, taking the load from the “traveler” and found that it worked quite well. I was worried it would negatively impact steering, but it did not. Additionally, the jam (or clam) cleat that holds the main worked FAR more effectively once the angle of the line was reduced.

In case that last paragraph made absolutely no sense, I’ll try to show why the cleat works better in this configuration. Here’s a jam cleat:

The jam cleat, also known as a clam cleat.

The jam cleat, also known as a clam cleat.

Jam cleats hold a line in place by tapering as they reach the bottom, the grooves help pull the line in that direction as tension is applied from the left of that picture. If the line is pulled up, or to the right the line will loose. The problem that I’d been having is the angle of the “traveler” meant it was always being pulled up a bit. This meant it would occasionally pop out, the sheet would loose depowering my sail, and I’d cry bitter tears.

The new way vs. the old way.

The new way vs. the old way.

Granted this is a new mod, and the jury is out if I’ll keep it this way or not. We’ll see.

Also, my friend Kristen came over to help out with a makeover. I spent an hour yesterday with an angle grinder getting rid off my terrible epoxy drip marks that had plagued her hull. I spent another hour today with the orbital sander smoothing out the angle grinder marks. Kristen and I got the first of several coats of paint done. The old girl is getting a whole look I’ll be unveiling at the Messabout. I’m very excited to see our end product!




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.