I’ve been neglecting the blog lately due to classes starting back up. That said, the end of my summer was fairly eventful, and there were certainly things I should have been blogging about.
First of which, I have acquired another boat! She’s a Johnson Boat Works 16′ J-Sailer from 1980. Getting her home was quite the adventure, since I didn’t really have a proper trailer, and used my 8′ utility trailer to get her back home. Let’s just say I learned a lot about proper weight distribution while towing, and managed to terrify myself (and probably every driver around me) in the process.
She’ll be awaiting next summer to get wet, as there were a few repairs that I didn’t have time to complete this summer:
- Tiller dry-rotted, needs to be replaced
- Leech line broken, needs to be replaced
- Small hole in transom, needs to be repaired
- Two small holes in sail, needs to be patched
Sail bag has holes in bottom.Repaired
Nothing too extreme, though I’m certainly glad I’ve had a chance to hone some of my repair skills on the PDR. Serenity has been very giving in that regard. Never a shortage of things to learn and try out.
I did eventually pick up a dedicated trailer for this one, and here’s a few photos of the debacle that was me attempting to get it off the sawhorses and onto the trailer.