No wind, probably for the best…

I got off the clock at 4pm, and had decided to hit the lake again for another run in Serenity. It wasn’t until I made it home that I noticed it was deathly still. No leaves in the tress stirred, flags hung limp on their poles. No wind at all.

Of course, this didn’t mean I couldn’t still play with the boat. After all, there’s always something else to tinker with, adjust, repair, or otherwise do when it comes to boats.

Since the leeboard handle had broken on Serenity’s test drive, it seemed like a good place to begin. The middle of the handle had cracked right through, leaving a hand’s width gap where a handle should have been. I trimmed the edges down smooth, and drilled a couple holes for a rope handle. Why not, right? Cheap and easy fix, with the added bonus of looking even more nautical! A couple of figure eight knots, and ta-dah! A new handle!

Lucky, I have hundreds of feet of different rope laying about. This 1/2" is perfect for the task.

Lucky, I have hundreds of feet of different rope laying about. This 1/2″ is perfect for the task.

Next, the hull plate needed a home. On the deck next to the mast seemed like the most stable, secure, and out of the way spot. There’s a heavy 2×4 brace under it, so no screws poking through to snag hands rooting around under the deck.

Registered hull #824

Registered hull #824

Since I was drilling holes into a perfectly good boat, I figured now would be a good time to install the deck cleats I bought. They were super cheap, and once I started trying to install them, I found out why: The tolerances for the bolts are CRAP. Basically, I spent about 30 minutes grinding and filing the heads of the bolts to get them to fit nicely into the cleats. Even after all that, they still aren’t all flush. There might be more grinding in their future, though part of me knows only I would even notice. That’s probably enough reason to do it…

CLEATS!

CLEATS!

The rudder also received a bit of love. If you can call sawing six inches of length off the tiller “love”. On the test run, I noted that it was so long as to be cumbersome, having to scoot about 3 feet forward to come about. As an added benefit, it can no longer reach the sides of the boat, even when pushed all the way over.

IMG_1931

IMG_1933

Finally, I pulled the hardware off and gave the whole boat (minus the bottom of the hull) another coat of paint. Latex exterior paint is great for the waterproofing and all, but it tends to be a bit tacky in my experience. I’m going to have to ask some other duckers if they have encountered similar issues with it, or if there’s a fix for that. I hate that the parts stick together if left laying on top of each other.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.