Finally catching up on some photo updates tonight!
First: the rudder. Over the weekend I rigged up one of the most rickety melting stations ever using some garden patio blocks, a propane torch, and a steel soup can. In the future, I need a better set up and better quality lead or possibly better technique. (Anyone with experience in this: I welcome advice.)
It looks okay from a distance, but closer inspection shows the rough surface from the pour. I think there was some nasty slag, or maybe it wasn’t melted down all the way. (Again, anyone who can explain this, please do.)
So it needs work to make it smooth and ready for paint. Also, need to make the tiller/hiking stick and figure out the frame and mounting hardware for the rudder.
Next up: The leeboard! Aside from paint, it’s ready to go.
Reinforcements have been added to the starboard side of the hull.
The additional 1×2 in the middle, and the one directly under the chine will match up with the slots on the outside of the hull and the leeboard will slide into those. Most of tonight’s work was actually getting those cut and sanded down.
Added some stops to the top of the leeboard to prevent it from sliding down too far, as well as a handle.
I finally managed to get one of the airboxes sealed up today. I sure hope I made it water tight! It looks like it should be, but I won’t know until it’s in the water… (Yikes.)
In unrelated news: Pandora was SUPER good to me, and tonight’s jam was Roisin Murphy’s “You Know Me Better”… BANGING tune. I got way more productive when it came on.
On that note, it’s half past midnight. Sweet dreams.