Prettying up the epoxy

I needed my trailer to haul off some yard waste, so Serenity is resting on sawhorses in the garage. This seemed like as good a time as any to finish off the slapdash job I’d done glassing her bow.

Most of the work today was sanding down the rough fibers along the edges and corners, and trying to get all the major ridges and drips out. I was, of course, not completely successful. Partly because I know Serenity isn’t a beautiful craft, and no amount of prep and whatnot will ever change that. Partly because I was getting eaten by the mosquitoes.

Anyway, another thin layer of epoxy over the original wetted-out glass. So far it looks nice, it’ll be hard to tell the final result until I get down to sanding and painting her.

You can see the not awesome job I did when glassing the bottom. MAJOR drips. I'll likely be sanding the crap out her to even that out before the next coat of paint.

You can see the not awesome job I did when glassing the bottom. MAJOR drips. I’ll likely be sanding the crap out her to even that out before the next coat of paint.

This side turned out pretty okay. Again, hard to say until she dries.

This side turned out pretty okay. Again, hard to say until she dries.

One thing that’s been a constant trouble is dripping after the fact. I’ll wipe the lower edge a couple times, even after it’s begun to gel, and it STILL somehow manages to run. The physical properties of a gel that runs like water are baffling to me…

One thought on “Prettying up the epoxy

  1. Pingback: Tying up loose ends | ens0.info

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.